Tuesday, February 6, 2024

 

My List - (An update on Toby Keith's passing)


Some say history repeats itself, others say it rhymes (and some are too stupid to think about it all). Regardless, the Biden administration's mismanagement (I'm being generous) is very reminiscent of the Obama and Carter fiascos.

With the sad news of Toby Keith's passing I decided to resurrect and update this piece originally written in 2015 about the O'Biden disaster.

-----------------------------------------

 There’s a quote that I’ve always found unfortunately humorous – and accurate: 

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.” Besides geography, there’s another association I make with war – music. 
 



I will always associate Garth Brooks’ “I’ve Got Friends in Low Places” with Desert Storm. It seemed like the Armed Forces Network (AFN) played it continuously. Then, there was a song from Phase Two of the Afghanistan Campaign. I enjoyed it so much that I intended to have it played at my retirement ceremony. It was just one of the many moving songs by Toby Keith -- a great American patriot. 

Toby’s song is titled “My List” and is in the genre of Harry Chapin’s “Cat’s in the Cradle.” There’s something about being away from your wife and kids for a year at a time (except for a two-week R&R) that accentuates all the milestones you’re missing. A partial excerpt of the lyrics from “My List” follows:

Under an old brass paperweight is my list of things to do today,
Go to the bank and the hardware store, put a new lock on the cellar door.
I cross 'em off as I get 'em done but when the sun is set,
There's still more than a few things left I haven't got to yet…

Go for a walk, say a little prayer, take a deep breath of mountain air,
Put on my glove, play some catch, it's time that I make time for that.
Wade the shore, cast a line, look up a long lost friend of mine,
Sit on the porch and give my girl a kiss.
Start livin' that's the next thing on my list.


When talking with Soldiers concerned about their kids back home, I’d tell them two things. First, that I believed God would honor their sacrifice, and secondly, there is no better way to teach your children the importance of duty, honor and loyalty than living it. After all, I’d remind them, it wasn’t like we were on a protracted fishing expedition or out playing golf. Nonetheless, it was obvious to all of us that we were missing a great deal.

Since I was medically retired (after 35 years of service), I  never did get to play that song at a ceremony. So, what brought that song back to my mind now? It was an appointment with the VA last week. The doctor was asking me about my mental health and TBI. I told her that the toll multiple deployments exacts is bad, but what’s even worse is the insult of watching those hard fought for cities and provinces falling back into the hands of the enemy.


During the Cold War, I was in West Germany where we faced-off with the Soviet Union-led Warsaw Pact. We were trained to know that Russia could not be trusted. 

To watch them now walk into Ukraine virtually unopposed is exasperating. To watch them align themselves with Iran, Iraq and Syria, move their forces into the Middle East, and then bomb our allies is sickening. [Remember, this was written in OCT 2015 when Russia invaded under Obama, hear the rhyme?]

Driving home from the VA hospital that day, my blood was beginning to boil. Not like the pressure cooker used by the Boston bombers, but more like a cauldron – boiling because of a belief that our government is making it mighty comfortable for our enemies and not adequately aiding our allies. And that’s when the idea of a “list” came clearly to mind. Only this list is not of things I want to do – this list is for our current Commander-in-Chief to check-off.

Mr. Obama Biden – please put this under a paperweight:

 -- You owe every American citizen an apology for your insane and tragic 

border policy. As US Senator Barrasso said: Biden’s Border Policies are the Deadliest, most Destructive, and most Disastrous in American History

-- You owe the thousands dead in Ukraine and the American taxpayer an apology.  During his long, rambling Jan. 19 press conference, President Joe Biden made yet another major policy misstep. Russia, he suggested would face but minor consequences if it restrained itself to but a “minor incursion” into Ukraine.  Come on man.

-- You owe the 2,402 US Gold Star families and the 20,713 American wounded from Afghanistan an apology  Not because you started the war, but because you lost the war in tragic fashion. President Biden’s botched withdrawal from Afghanistan left American citizens and allies behind while emboldening our enemies, diminishing our counterterrorism capabilities, and damaging trust with our allies around the globe.

-- You owe the families of America an apologyToday, a family of four is paying $15,133 per year, or $1,261 per month, more to purchase the same goods and services compared to the day President Biden took office. 

-- You owe our children an apology for the Trillions in debt you’ve amassed.

I could go on, but I’ve got to go play catch.


No comments:

Post a Comment